Monday, December 12, 2016

Hairspray Live!

Just came back from watching Hairspray Live with my fellow gleeks! It was so much fun seeing the 2008 movie and the live event back to back.

Screenings with people from Glee are the best cos we all have no shame singing along as loud as we can!

Some thoughts from the screening:

☆ Like whoa! Jennifer Hudson's voice just blew my mind away especially in "I Know Where I've Been"

☆ On the topic on amazing voices, Kristin Chenoweth killed it too

☆ Garret Clayton was so unbelievably handsome as Link Larkin. He was totally made up to look like a young "Ken" doll hahaha

☆ I kept hearing out for Ariana Grande's voice (cos she's amazing!) but as P said, her soundcheck must not have been accurate since she was belting out in the rehearsals.

☆ I was late to our Rocky Horror screening so I missed out on the beanbags that time but DAYUM ARE THEY COMFORTABLE. To be truly honest, I was a bit hesitant to sit on one thinking "You mean, I CAN SIT ON ONE TOO!?" Haha, I have such a silly habit of thinking I don't deserve to do things, even with simple stuff like this. Doh. It was so relaxing~~

☆ I forgot how emotive the songs were. I just love musicals so much for this reason.

☆ Reminds me how much I love movies where the main character is 'supposed to be' outcasted from society but rises up above the top! Hooray for the underdog~

I really wanna belt out some songs, but my flatmate is probably sleeping right now. My favourite is "Without Love"!

=====

This weekend, our zine circle had a table at the Auckland Summer Zinefest. It was hardly summery with the rain pouring down like crazy! But once we got inside, it was real chill. Met a cool zinester (@peels_peels) who we were sitting next to, and ending up geeking out about Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and Grimes because it was the first time we both heard of this music playing out loud anywhere! I was so happy. It's also great hearing why people got into zines in the first place and finding kindred spirits.

As I walked around the stalls, I got more and more inspired to create a personal zine. There were all these people who shared such raw feelings and visuals in their zines. I love it. There's no restrictions or rules.

I guess the scariest thing about making a perzine is how you have to make yourself vulnerable. That is one of the things that I feel is holding me back from creating even better artworks. It's still scary to bare my soul even in a creative medium. I've had bad experiences from sharing my views. Sometimes, I feel like I have the most unpopular opinions and it stresses me out both mentally and emotionally to defend them all. I'd literally be typing and crying at the same time if I have strong views about a topic. At least with a zine, its a physical product with no comments section? Haha.

Maybe after sharing the whole truth, I will feel lighter from the emotional torment I've been pretending doesn't exist.

On the contrary, the few comics I made that I was the most embarrassed about sharing were the ones that people liked the most? It's funny how that works. Little me will just have to suck it up and post more of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment